I thought I could get back to Civil War blocks next but I'm afraid they will have to wait. My featherweight has started making bad noises and breaking thread- I really babied it along through these last two borders. I took it apart for oiling and cleaning but that didn't do the trick. So she is going to have to go to the doctor as soon as I have a chance to take her. It will be like leaving one of my children - I hate to have her out of the house and not with me!
Monday, April 21, 2008
I'm happy to report that the medallion quilt is now a finished flimsy - 101" square. It took me at least a day longer than I'd hoped - but it's done. I've put the remaining pre-1830's fabrics into the cabinet so I have two empty baskets for the next class. The last border consists of period correct chintz. We received it in our packet at the last class - we had about 10 to choose from and I felt this one enhanced the colors and fabrics of my quilt the best. The first pictures shows the final border of stars before they were sewn together and attached. You may also notice that I decided to move that outside gold pointed star to the other side of the quilt to spread out the gold even further, and I'm glad I did. There isn't any floor in this house big enough to spread this out for a full picture, so I settled for a picture of a quarter of the quilt so I could show the border. I really love how this turned out!